Location: UT-Austin, Butler School of Music
Students of member teachers: $20. Students of non-member teachers: $40 plus $50 non-member teacher fee
Student receives: Critique, Certificate & Ribbon
Playing for choirs and/or church services is an area many trained musicians find work or serve their community. This festival seeks to encourage young musicians to gain experience playing religious music. The Gold Seal entry category further gives opportunities for students to develop skills in modulating, transposing, improvising, accompanying, playing short service liturgical pieces or playing from a lead sheet.
STUDENTS CHOOSE TO PLAY OR SING IN ONE OF TWO CATEGORIES
Silver Seal Category Entrants must play or sing 2 hymns OR 2 hymn published arrangements, including modern/contemporary worship songs (not in lead sheet format) OR one of each.
Gold Seal Category Entrants must play or sing 3 hymns OR 3 hymn published arrangements, including modern/contemporary worship songs (not in lead sheet format) OR one of each, PLUS one of the following musicianship items below:
- MODULATION: Play a convincing modulation between each hymn and/or hymn arrangement.
- TRANSPOSITION: Transpose one hymn or hymn arrangement to another key.
- IMPROVISATION: If playing standard hymns play or sing one of the hymns as written (counts as one of the 3 hymns) and then play it again with improvisation.
- ACCOMPANYING: If playing from a standard hymnal, play one of the hymns alone (counts as one of the 3 hymns)and then again accompanying a singer or instrumentalist who will sing or play the melody. The singer or instrumentalist does not have to be an ADMTA member and will not be rated.
- SHORT SERVICE: Play or sing a short service music item such as a Doxology, Response, Kyrie or Gloria Patri.
- LEAD SHEET IMPROVISATION: If playing from a modern/contemporary worship songs found in lead sheet format, improvise using voice line melody and chords.
- Music must be religious in nature.
- Titles found in a standard hymnal or modern/contemporary worship book from any denomination are a good guideline for acceptable repertoire.
- Modern/contemporary worship songs should not be in lead sheet format (I.e. only melody and chord symbols) for the Silver Seal Category. Improvising from a lead sheet format may be used as one of the musicianship phases for the Gold Seal Category.
- Classical repertoire from standard composers is not allowed for this event unless it is part of a standard hymn tune or part of an arrangement combining classical pieces with standard hymn tunes.
- Entries containing non-religious songs will be returned to the teacher.
- Hymns or traditional Christmas Carols in a standard hymnal for the Advent or Christmas seasons may be used.
- Non-religious Christmas Carols or pop songs, such as Jingle Bells, Deck the Halls, or Rudolph the Red-nose Reindeer, are not acceptable.
- Medleys, if they meet other repertoire requirements, are acceptable as one selection in the Silver Seal Category. They are also acceptable in the Gold Seal Category; if a modulation is involved between the tunes this can count as Musicianship item #1.
- The music does NOT have to be memorized.
- Teachers may not accompany their own students who are vocalists or instrumentalists.
- An adult (may be a parent) or a student may accompany vocalists or instrumentalists.
- Pianists, vocalists and instrumentalists are eligible to enter. See Festivals section with general information for more specifics, or contact the chair if there are
EXAMPLES of hymn arrangements in progressive order of study:
- Easy 5-finger melodic hymn arrangements.
- Melody with simple single line accompaniment.
- Melody with simple chordal accompaniment.
- Intermediate hymn arrangements.
- Advanced hymn arrangements.
MUSIC AT THE HYMN FESTIVAL
- Students must provide ONE original score of the music for the judge or they will automatically receive a “no rating”.
- Students are encouraged to use originals whenever possible. If a second copy is not available, a photocopy may be used by the student, if necessary.
- Students may use a photocopied page to avoid page turns.
- Judges do have the right to retain any photocopies used in an ADMTA event and destroy these photocopies.
- Number the measures for each line of the music.
To edit a registration, click on the registration's Edit link, then after the page re-loads, the Register tab. To delete a registration, click on the registration's Delete link, then OK in the confirmation popup. Please note that registrations cannot be edited after the grace period. If any problems, please contact email@example.com by the end of the grace period.You have no students registered for this event.