Local Chair submits entries to state. Entry fee: $10.00
State fee: Check TMTA Handbook ($15.00 S1 – S 12; $20 Div E, EP, L, LP)
Submit both local and state fees at the time of the local contest.
See non-TMTA teachers and student fees in TMTA handbook.
Non-ADMTA teachers pay double student entry fees.
The purpose of the local contest is to encourage creativity and self-expression in student musicians through the art of composing and to recognize their achievements, as well as the significant work of their teachers.
This contest provides a professional critique of each student’s compositional skills which may be used to edit their compositions before sending them to the state contest.
Certificates and cash awards are given at the local level to 1st ($50.00) , 2nd ($35.00), and 3rd ($20.00) place winners in each category. Honorable Mentions are at the discretion of the judge. Judges may declare there is no winner and the decision of the judge is final.
- Students must be registered for Student Affiliate
- Students must have passed the appropriate theory test.
- See TMTA handbook under the theory section for the lowest grade level test
- Students may take either the fall or spring test.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE CONTEST
- For complete information, read the TMTA Member Handbook regarding the contest.
- Entries may be composed for ANY medium.
- Compositions may be entered in any of the ten divisions, which are based on school grade.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTING A LOCAL CONTEST ENTRY
- Submit only ONE copy of the score of each composition (solo or ensemble). The manuscript should NOT contain any personal information.
- OPTIONAL: Submit computer-generated scores but these are not required by state.
- Manuscripts should be on 8.5 x 11 inch paper.
- Do NOT send original manuscripts.
- Please include the composition title centered on all pages, division in upper right-hand corner or all pages and page numbering starting with 2 in the upper right-hand corner.
- All measures must be numbered, either by bar or by system. This will help ensure the manuscript is adequately prepared for submitting to the state contest.
- Note: The PDF or MUS files for the manuscript required for submission to the state contest is NOT needed for the local contest, but will be needed for submission to the state contest by the January 6, 2017 deadline.
- Audio files are NOT required for the local contest. However, please note that for the state contest, the chair must have audio files to submit by January 6 for E (if 3 or more voices) & L (10 or more voices) which will require a WAV or MP3 file to submit.
- Read details about submission to the state contest in the TMTA Member Handbook and prepare manuscripts marked, as instructed, as well as any required files for the local chair to forward to the state contest.
TO ENTER LOCAL CONTEST
- Complete and mail to the local chair, postmarked by the LOCAL entry deadline of October 12, 2016.
- Please request from the local chair: one Critique sheet for each student and one Master list with teacher’s entries.
- Prepare and mark manuscripts as instructed in the TMTA handbook.
- No audio files for local contest.
- One check for local fees AND state fees due at time of local deadline of October 12, 2016
- Check TMTA handbook at tmta.org for state fees. $15 for S1-SP12; $20 for E, EP, L, LP.
- Please include local contest fees with the state contest fees in ONE check.
- NOTE: The teacher should collect the fees from their students and send one check for local entries made payable to ADMTA and mail to ADMTA, P.O. Box 163283, Austin, TX 78716.
TO ENTER STATE CONTEST
Contact ADMTA local chair above if any questions about the state contest. Complete and mail to the local chair, postmarked by the local association’s state contest entry deadline of January 6, 2017. NOTE: All entries for the state contest are forwarded to state by the local chair.
- Prepare & mark manuscripts as instructed in TMTA handbook as PDF or MUS files and audio file if applicable. Note manuscripts may be handwritten or computer generated, but must be sent via email as a PDF or MUS file.
- If you have no revisions since the local contest please notify the chair. Either way, you will need to email either the original manuscript from the local contest or a revised copy of the manuscripts as a PDF or MUS file along with any applicable audio files by January 6, 2017.
- NOTE: The check for local and state fees are due at time of the local deadline of October 12, 2016.
- Students MUST enter the local contest to enter the state contest. Compositions in the local contest do NOT have to be winners to enter state contests. The rating received at the local level does not determine eligibility to enter the state contest.
- Cash awards are given to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place state winners and 1st and 2nd place state winners are invited to perform at the TMTA SA Original Composition Recital at the state convention. See TMTA handbook at www.tmta.org.
- Winners of the state contest are encouraged to enter their composition in the MTNA Composition Competition by visiting www.mtna.org with a deadline in September.
- More information about the MTNA Composition Contest is at www.mtna.org under competitions section.
PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITES FOR COMPOSERS
- HONORS RECITAL SIX – Winners (1st, 2nd 3rd & HM) of the local contest may play or have their compositions performed on Honors Recital Five. This follows policies similar to TMTA where there are no restrictions concerning performers of the winning composition. Only live performances are accepted and performers for ensemble works must arranged by the composer. Both ADMTA and non-ADMTA-affiliated teachers, other musicians and students may perform a student’s composition at any level. (See section including honors recitals further information, such as date, time, location and registration). Registration: complete through the member portal at admta.org by April 12, 2017 deadline. No forms or fees.
- Location: Steinway Piano Gallery, 12980 N. Hwy 183, Austin, TX 78750
- Date: Saturday, May 19, 2018.
- HR 6 Chair will email exact times the week before the honors recital.
- YOUNG COMPOSERS CONCERT – This provides an opportunity for all compositions entered at the local level to be performed and showcased to further encourage and inspire the art of composing. Registration: complete by by deadline Jan. 6, 2017. See registration instructions under Young Composers Concert information in the yearbook or found at www.admta.org under “member resources” section, “forms/events” sublink. Winners must provide their own musicians for this concert, and only live performances are allowed, except for ensembles meeting criteria under performance requirements for Young Composers Concert. If you need assistant finding musicians for an ensemble work, please contact the chair BEFORE the deadline. Teachers, parents, other adults or students may perform a student’s composition at any level. Student composers should be present at this concert in order for their compositions to be performed. Compositions for prepared piano are not to be performed at the request of piano companies providing instruments. See entry for Young Composers Concert with more details about this concert. For questions, contact the chair, Lisa Shirah-Hiers at Lshirah@hotmail.com.
- Location: Steinway Piano Gallery, 12980 N. Hwy 183, Austin, TX 78750
- Date: January 20, 2018
- Time: 3:30-5:30 PM