Students of member teachers: $35. Students of non-member teachers: $70 plus $50 non-member teacher fee
To register go to : admta.getacceptd.com
It is the goal of this competition to familiarize our students with the various musical styles and the representative composers within those styles. Top honors will go to the students who show the highest level of musical and technical polish of the chosen works.
This contest is open to students in grades 1 through 12 whose teachers are members of ADMTA or pay non-member teacher and student entry fees as listed.
GRADE LEVEL REQUIREMENT
- Students can enter only one grade level each year.
- Students may enter at their current school grade level or one grade level higher than his or her current grade level.
- They may not enter a level lower than their grade in school.
- Students below 1st grade may not enter. Students above 12th grade may not enter.
- If a student chooses a required piece from one grade level higher than their current grade, then the student will compete at that level.
- Entrants must choose and perform one solo piece from the options at grade level found on the Solo Contest Repertoire list below.
- Certain editions may be listed under each title as an aid to finding the pieces.
- Teachers may use other editions.
- Students perform only this chosen piece, with no optional or additional pieces.
MEMORIZATION AND MUSIC
- Music must be memorized.
- Students must upload scanned copies of original scores for the judge, or they will receive a “no rating.”
- Number the first measure for each line of the music.
- Repeats are left to the discretion of the student.
- Contest will be held online at admta.getacceptd.com
- Entrants will create and upload a performance video for a judge and all decisions of the judges are final.
- The judges will be instructed to make their decisions based upon the degree of polish and understanding the student brings to the piece rather than on the difficulty of the selected piece.
- Grades with a large number of entrants (20 or more) may be separated into more than one group, at the discretion of the event chair and student events chair.
- If groups are split, then each group is given separate awards.
- Teachers will be notified of the results via email and awards will be mailed to the teachers to distribute to their students.
Judges will provide students with ratings as follows, similar to the Texas UIL Solo & Ensemble rating format:
IV Below Average
Outstanding Performer. The judge has discretion to award one or two applicants in a given grade level “The Outstanding Performer Award.” This should be given for a performance/s within the grade level that represents the attainment of superior musicianship. The judge may also decide not to award this in any category.
The Solo Contest chair will divide grade levels into 2 or more judging groups for that grade level if there are entries of 20 or more in that level.
- There is a non-refundable entry fee of $35.00 for each student of ADMTA member teachers.
- Students or parents of students will register online at com (see registration instructions).
- Registration should be completed by 11:59 am on the day of the deadline.
- Confirmation of entry will be sent directly to students and parents from getacceptd.com.
HONORS RECITAL TWO
- There is no cost for honors recitals.
- Honors recitals will be posted on the ADMTA YouTube page that is linked to admta.org and can be found by google searching, “Austin District Music Teachers Association YouTube”.
- The master calendar reflects the dates when the video recital will be posted (p. 17)
Grade 1 –Choose one Baroque selection from the following:
From Little Suite in Baroque Style by William Gillock
From Keith Snell Essential Repertoire level 1 Baroque and Classical –
Allemande by Schein
Minuet in G by Telemann
Gavotte in C by Telemann
Minuet in C by Rameau
From The Festival Collection! Book 1 edited by Helen Marlais –
Old German Dance by Praetorius
Canary by Van den Hove
Petit Menuet by Geoffroy
PetIt Rondo by Geoffroy
Intrtata by Peuerl
Grade 2 –Choose one Baroque/Classical selection from the following:
From Piano Repertoire: Baroque/Classical Level 2 edited by Keith Snell
German Dance by Haydn
Minuet by Haydn
Minuet in F, K. 2 by Mozart
Minuet in C, K. 6 by Mozart
Sonatina in C by Latour
Two Ecossaises (both) by Beethoven
Two Russian Folk Songs (both) by Beethoven
Sonatina in G: Moderato by Beethoven
Sonatina in G: Romanza by Beethoven
From Anna Magdalena Notebook by JS Bach
Minuet in G – choose one of the 3
Minuet in G minor
Polonaise in G minor (not the one with parallel 6ths)
Musette in D Major
Grade 3 –Choose one Romantic selection from the following:
25 Progressive Pieces by Burgmuller
Preludes in Romantic Style by William Gillock
From Keith Snell Piano Repertoire Level 3 Romantic and Contemporary –
Old French Song by Tchaikovsky
Soldier’s March by Tchaikovsky
Waltz in A by Schubert.
From Album for the Young by Schumann
Grade 4 –Choose one Contemporary selection from the following:
30 Pieces for Children by Kabalevsky
Reaching Out (early intermediate and intermediate) by Emma Lou Diemer
Ten Easy Piano Pieces by Bartok – Dover edition, Piano Music of Bela Bartok Series
From Piano Repertoire: Romantic & Contemporary 20th Century Level 4 edited by Keith Snell
Love Song by Bartok
Jeering Song by Bartok
The Grasshoppers Wedding by Bartok
Ivan Sings by Khatchaturian
From Sketches in Color by Robert Starer
Grade 5 –Choose one Classical selection from the following:
Sonatina in C major op. 55 #3 (First or Second Movement) by Kuhlau
Sonatina in C Major op. 20 #1 – Rondo – Kuhlau
Sonatina in G major op. 55 #2 (First or Third movement) by Kuhlau
Sonatina in G Major op.36 #2 (First or Third movement) by Clementi
Sonatina in C Major op. 36 #3 (First or Third movement) by Clementi
Sonatina in F Major op. 36 #4 (First or Third movement) by Clementi
From Faber and Faber collection “Piano Sonatinas” Book 3 – Late Intermediate
Sonatina in F by Beethoven – either movement
Sonatina in C by Lichner – 1st or 3rd
Sonatina in C by Fritz Spindler – 1 or 2
Sonatina in A minor by Benda
Sonatina in D by Matthew Camidge – 1st or 2nd
Grade 6–Choose one Baroque selection from the following:
Any Two Part Invention by JS Bach
Grade 7–Choose one Romantic selection from the following:
Any selection from Lyric Pieces by Edvard Grieg
Songs Without Words – Mendelssohn – choose one of the following
Op. 19 #1,2, 4, 6
Op. 30 #3, 5
Op. 67 #5
Grade 8–Choose one Baroque selection from the following:
Any sonata by Domenico Scarlatti
Grade 9–Choose one Classical selection from the following:
Any movement from a Haydn or Mozart sonata
Grade 10–Choose one Romantic selection from the following:
Any Nocturne by Chopin
Grade 11–Choose one Baroque selection from the following:
Any Prelude and Fugue from the Well-Tempered Clavier of J.S. Bach
Grade 12–Choose one Classical selection from the following:
Any Beethoven sonata movement from op. 2, 7, 10, 13, 14, 22, 26, 27, 28 or 31
To edit a registration, click on the registration's Edit link, then after the page re-loads, the Register tab. To delete a registration, click on the registration's Delete link, then OK in the confirmation popup. Please note that registrations cannot be edited after the grace period. If any problems, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of the grace period.