A festival is a non-competitive event in which students of all ages play music in the designated style for a judge. Festivals available to students include: Jazz Pop Rock Festival, Piano Ensemble Chamber Music Concerto Festival, Hymn Festival, Baroque Classical Festival, and Romantic Contemporary Festival. Students receive comments and a rating from the judge, a ribbon, and a certificate.
- Any teacher (including a new member) is eligible to enter students in ADMTA Student Events.
- Non-member teachers are eligible, but must pay a non-member teacher fee of $50 per festival event and double student entry fees.
- These ADMTA student events listed do NOT require TMTA Student Affiliate Registration.
Ratings are Superior or Excellent. The judge may also indicate plus (+) or minus (-), providing a total of six possible ratings: S+, S, S-, E+, E, and E-.
NO RATING OPTION
- Festivals have a “no rating” option for students who may not be quite ready for a festival, but would still benefit from the experience.
- Teachers can choose to have a student play for the judge’s helpful comments, but receive no rating. The option can be checked on the critique sheet at the time of registration. Students will receive a complete evaluation and a certificate but no rating.
- Students can use the music under this option, but must comply with rules requiring original score.
Click the links above to see more specifics about repertoire under each individual event entry. When in doubt, contact the Repertoire Committee.
- For Jazz Pop Rock (JPR), and Hymn (HYMN) Festivals, arrangements, transcriptions and simplifications ARE allowed.
- For Piano Ensemble Chamber Music Concerto Festival (PECMC) please see specific rules about repertoire under event entry.
- For Baroque Classical (BC) and Romantic Contemporary (RC) Festivals, NO arrangements or simplifications are acceptable. See specifics about transcriptions under each event. The complete movement or piece must be played.
- Teachers questioning the eligibility of a piece should email the repertoire committee well in advance of the registration deadline.
INSTRUMENTALIST / VOCALIST PARTICIPATION
- Pianists, vocalists and instrumentalists are eligible to enter all the festivals.
- Instrumentalists and vocalists requiring piano accompaniment must provide their own accompanist.
- Teachers may not accompany their own students, but an adult (including parents) or another student may serve as the accompanist. Please see specific rules for Piano Ensemble Chamber Music Concerto Festival.
- A student may enter each festival only one time. See exceptions for Piano Ensemble Chamber Music Concerto Festival.
- All festival entries must be done online. Once you login, step-by-step directions are available.
- Student repertoire MUST be listed correctly on the critique sheet at the time of entry.
PreK and K PARTICIPATION
- PreK and K student may play in any ADMTA festival and are under the same guidelines as 1st – 12th grades.
- They may play for a “no rating” if they register under this category.
- Those playing for a rating and earning a Superior plus are eligible to perform in the subsequent honors recital.
- PreK and K students are not eligible to enter ADMTA Contests or Auditions.
- PreK and K students are not eligible to enroll as a Student Affiliate member and enter TMTA SA programs. Please refer to the TMTA handbook found at www.tmta.org.
SPECIAL NEEDS PARTICIPATION
- Students with special needs may indicate there is a special need at the time of registration.
- Please contact the Festival or Event Chair to confirm we can meet the special need being requested.
- Special accommodations may include allowing the student to play with the music. An original copy should be provided for the judge.
- Students can earn a ribbon of “merit” and receive ratings of Excellent +, Excellent, Excellent -.
- They also receive a critique sheet and a certificate, but are not eligible for honors recital participation.
- For a list of some of the special needs that might be accommodated please read more in this GUIDE FOR SPECIAL NEEDS STUDENTS.
- Adult students may play in any ADMTA festival.
- Adult students are not eligible to enter ADMTA Contests or Auditions.
- Adults will receive a critique sheet and certificate, but no ribbon and no rating. Adult students (unless a Post 12 – Young Artist) are not eligible to enroll in student affiliate and enter TMTA SA programs. Please refer to the TMTA handbook found at www.tmta.org.