The Musicianship Requirement applies to the Baroque-Classical and Romantic-Contemporary Festivals.
- Levels are chosen at the discretion of the teacher.
- Choose one level from Scales and one level from Cadences.
- Scale and cadence levels are independent of one another–i.e. a student may choose any level for scales and any level for cadences without penalty. It is NOT required, for example, to play a level 1 scale with level A cadence, a level 2 scale with level B cadence, etc.
- Entrants must play a scale and cadence in the key of each piece entered.
- If the pieces are in the same key, a second scale and cadence in a closely related key (dominant or parallel) must be played.
- If the Contemporary piece is atonal, modal or polytonal, a scale and cadence in a different key from the Romantic piece must be played.
- Entrants may choose when to play the scale and cadence, but are encouraged to play it prior to their pieces.
- The judge is to drop the final performance rating one degree (S to S-, S- to E+, etc.) if the requirement is performed unacceptably. Unacceptable can mean wrong notes, poor fingering, lack of pulse, or only one scale played.
- If an entrant chooses to omit the requirement, the final performance rating may not exceed E+.
- Levels are indicated on the critique sheet as chosen during online registration. (Example: 1-A, 2-B, 3-D, etc.)
|1||5 finger hand position||Alone or together|
|2||Tetrachord scales||Two hands|
|3||Scale – no. of octaves at teacher’s discretion||Alone|
|4||Scale – no. of octaves at teacher’s discretion||Together|
|5||Scale –contrary motion||Together|
|6||Double note scale – choose 3rds, 6ths, or 10th – no. of octaves at teacher’s discretion||Together|
|A||Tonic chord||Broken or solid chords||Alone|
|B||I – V – I||All root position chords||Alone|
|C||I – IV – I – V – I||All root position chords||Alone or together|
|D||I – V (7) – I||From root position; root only or solid chords in the bass||Together|
|E||I – IV – I – V (and/or V (7) – I||From root position; root only or solid chords in the bass||Together|
|F||I – IV – I – V (and/or V (7) – I||All inversion, root only or solid chords in the bass||Together|